This hot cocoa is the perfect way to warm up on those cold winter nights. Rich and creamy with an added kick thanks to the wine. This red wine hot chocolate recipe calls for a red wine, sweet or dry! If you prefer dry, we recommend Coastline Red or Braganini Reserve Cabernet Franc, or if you prefer sweet, try using Head Games or Late Nights.
- 2/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2/3 cup dry red wine
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 2 tablespoons sugar, optional (see notes)
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Optional garnishes: marshmallows, whipped cream
- Combine the chocolate chips, wine, milk, half, and half and sugar (if using), in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Heat, stirring constantly, until chocolate chips are melted and the mixture is hot.
- Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla and salt. Pour into mugs and serve
Notes: If you'll need to use the sugar or not will depend on the sweetness of your wine. If you're using a very dry wine, you'll want to add in the sugar. It's best to take a sip without the sugar, and then add it in if need be. If you are using a sweet wine, make sure you omit the sugar.