This hot cocoa is the perfect way to warm up on those cold winter nights. Rich and creamy with an added kick thanks to the wine. This recipe calls for a red wine, sweet or dry! If you prefer dry, we recommend Coastline Red or Braganini Reserve Cabernet Franc, or if you prefer sweet, try using Head Games or Late Nights.
- 2/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2/3 cup dry red wine
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 2 tablespoons sugar, optional (see notes)
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Optional garnishes: marshmallows, whipped cream
- Combine the chocolate chips, wine, milk, half, and half and sugar (if using), in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Heat, stirring constantly, until chocolate chips are melted and the mixture is hot.
- Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla and salt. Pour into mugs and serve
Notes: If you'll need to use the sugar or not will depend on the sweetness of your wine. If you're using a very dry wine, you'll want to add in the sugar. It's best to take a sip without the sugar, and then add it in if need be. If you are using a sweet wine, make sure you omit the sugar.