You don't need a special occasion to enjoy these cupcakes! Made with Champagne (or Spumante), these light and fluffy cupcakes are simply delicious and easy to make!
- 1 box of white cake mix, plus ingredients on back of box, ***replace the water with Champagne or Spumante***
- 2 sticks of butter, room temperature
- 2-3 tbsp champagne or spumante
- 4-5 cups powdered sugar
- sprinkles (optional)
- Preheat the oven according to the directions of the package.
- Line a muffin pan with muffin liners.
- Prepare and bake the cake mix according to the directions on the package, however substitute the water for Champagne or Spumante. Divide the batter evenly among the muffins cups - but only fill them ~1/2 full. They will puff up a lot!
- Bake according to the suggested time.
- Remove the cupcakes and place them on a cooling rack to cool.
- While the cupcakes are cooling, prepare the frosting.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the butter using an electric mixer until smooth, 1-2 minutes.
- Add in the Champagne or Spumante, starting with less and adding more for stronger flavor if desired.
- Begin to add the powdered sugar, about 1 cup at a time, mixing by hand first, then with the electric mixer. Continue adding powdered sugar to taste.
- Place the frosting in a large piping bag and pipe the buttercream onto the cupcakes.
- Top with sprinkles if desired.